Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

.204 Ruger C.O.L.

I am considering building an AR in.204 Ruger. It seems that many have had issues with rounds feeding property from a .223 mag. Has anyone had this issue, or found a solution. Any issues with using a shorter C.O.L.?

Title
    Administrator
    So just out of pure curiosity? Why a .204 in an AR?
    Brass is spendy and tough to come by, bullets are scarce and limited.
    223 will do everything and more with a bigger selection of bullets, etc.

Not doubting the want for one, just curious

Title
    Premium Member
    Not for me,but guessing . . . - - -> bullet speed/trajectory,a little less recoil,something different,possibly more.
    Will default to the OP.
    Your questions above are certainly valid Wes. I thought about building a 204 about a year ago but decided not for me.
    Calling yotes or over bait at <300yds for a somewhat quicker follow up shot or possibly not quite as much holdover (??).
    Thru some bookwork I found out that with a "longer than" 16" bbl gun (20-24"),and shooting a 40gr,the 223/5.56 is pretty close to the 204.
    I killed whole bunches of yotes in Maine with my 24" 223Rem/AR shooting the 40gr NosBalTip. Shot damn flat . . . and would not be pushed around by the wind as much either. --- SAWMAN
    ADDED: Back then there were a couple 35gr bullets on the market which I tried,but they were not enough faster for much trajectory advantage,and were not as accurate.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
    I am considering building an AR in.204 Ruger. It seems that many have had issues with rounds feeding property from a .223 mag. Has anyone had this issue, or found a solution. Any issues with using a shorter C.O.L.?
    I built a wilson combat bull barrel 204 AR for this purpose
    the above comments are very valid. I am a huge 204 fan and have enough supplies to last quite a long time. I have not experienced this feeding issue myself. Most of my coyote hunting is going to be under 100yds in tjis area. I shoot the 26gr varmint grenade mostly. Have 32s and 40s as well. The metal magzines function better than polymer mags. I have several 223 ARs as well. I built all of them.
    I have no idea what the hell I am doing.
    So I just keep shooting. It all works out in the end.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a .204 bolt and love the caliber. If I were to go the .20 cal route on an AR it would be .20 Practical. You neck .223 brass and go. So cheap brass and if you buy in bulk the .20 cal bullets are plenty cheap. Just a thought.

Title
    Administrator
    Now that don't sound too bad at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledslnger View Post
    I have a .204 bolt and love the caliber. If I were to go the .20 cal route on an AR it would be .20 Practical. You neck .223 brass and go. So cheap brass and if you buy in bulk the .20 cal bullets are plenty cheap. Just a thought.

Title
    [QUOTE=Wes Sage;14836]So just out of pure curiosity? Why a .204 in an AR?

Not doubting the want for one, just curious[/

I have a bolt in .204, and brass and bullets are available locally. coyotes often get hung up at 500 yds or more around here, and they are educated., .204 has proven itself along the Colorado/Utah line. The AR platform is due to the ATN night vision scope I just purchased, and the build is because I expect that very soon I will be unable to purchase the parts needed to build one, in Colorado

Title
    Premium Member
    204 is definitely superior to the 223 past 300 yards, with light weight varmint bullets. Sounds like a fun build to me.

JTD

Title
    Administrator
    Got it buddy. All solid reasons. 500 yards is a ways out!!! [QUOTE=Pengo;14924]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    So just out of pure curiosity? Why a .204 in an AR?

Not doubting the want for one, just curious[/

I have a bolt in .204, and brass and bullets are available locally. coyotes often get hung up at 500 yds or more around here, and they are educated., .204 has proven itself along the Colorado/Utah line. The AR platform is due to the ATN night vision scope I just purchased, and the build is because I expect that very soon I will be unable to purchase the parts needed to build one, in Colorado

Title
    Premium Member
    I've had 4 different 204s I loved them my favorite load was sierra blitzkings 39 gr.loading them short in a ar is no big deal seeing a 204 likes to jump.i sold mine and my components it just got too expensive to load